LA VILLA

PISA, KNOWN ESPECIALLY FOR ITS LEANING TOWER, DESERVES TO BE VISITED. SPEND A FEW DAYS IN THIS
CORNER OF TUSCANY MEANS DISCOVERING THAT BEYOND THE TOWER THERE IS MUCH MORE.

THE VILLA

The 4 star Hotel in Pisa

The 4-star hotel in Pisa, Villa Tower INN aka Villino Marazzini, is structurally characterized by the union of three bodies, different in height and roof, of which the central one is formed by a turret-roof terrace closed by a large sloping roof which resumes a little the theme of the medieval castle.

On the first floor there is a central terrace with a balustrade of pillars, decorated with geometric elements.

The rectangular openings in which the frames are located are also very interesting: each different from the other with decorative motifs inspired by medieval Pisan architecture, as well as some windows (mullioned windows) divided in half by a small column, typical of the Renaissance.

Seen from the outside, it faithfully follows the pattern of the traditional Art Nouveau villa, built in 1920 by the Pisan engineer Federigo Severini. But it is inside that it reveals its diversity: bright environments and open spaces full of life that a skilful and careful restoration work has brought back to their former glory, enhancing the original structure, without modifying it.

THE STORY

The engineer Severini

Federigo Severini was an Italian architect, engineer and academic. Eclectic figure of architect, engineer, academician, designer, as well as painter, he is among the authors who have most influenced the architectural and urban planning scene in Pisa in the first half of the twentieth century. Federigo Severini was born in Pisa in 1888. He has been painting since the age of ten following his natural inclination and inspired by the evocative environment of Marina di Pisa where his family goes on vacation.

His father, the lawyer Severini, and Professor Giulio Luperini, painter, restorer and family friend, play a crucial role in his artistic training. In 1906 Federigo Severini enrolled in the degree course in applied mathematics at the Faculty of Mathematical and Natural Sciences of the University of Pisa, where Antonio Pacinotti, professor of physics, and Vincenzo Pilotti, professor of practical architecture, teach. great influence.

In 1909 the Application School for Engineers begins. He follows the first year at the University of Pisa and the last two at the University of Rome in which he graduated as a civil engineer in November 1912. From 1913 until 1919 he was assistant to Vincenzo Pilotti, holder of the chair of practical architecture at the School of Ornamental and Architectural Geometric Design of the University of Pisa. At the same time as this assignment, he carried out the surveys of the bell tower and the plan of the Cathedral of Pisa and devoted himself to drawing and painting. The first assignments for private individuals, villas, hotels and shops, for which he often also designs the furniture, are followed by public commissions in Pisa.In 1909 the Application School for Engineers begins. He follows the first year at the University of Pisa and the last two at the University of Rome in which he graduated as a civil engineer in November 1912. From 1913 until 1919 he was assistant to Vincenzo Pilotti, holder of the chair of practical architecture at the School of Ornamental and Architectural Geometric Design of the University of Pisa. At the same time as this assignment, he carried out the surveys of the bell tower and the plan of the Cathedral of Pisa and devoted himself to drawing and painting. The first assignments for private individuals, villas, hotels and shops, for which he often also designs the furniture, are followed by public commissions in Pisa.

Since 1921 he has been a freelancer and founded a construction company with the engineer Giulio Buoncristiani. This relationship continued until 1938. At the same time he painted and in 1930 exhibited in the provincial and regional exhibitions of the Professionals and Artists Union. In 1932 he held his first personal exhibition at the palazzo on the Giornata di Pisa.

From 1932 to 1943 he was a member of the Board of Directors of the Opera del Duomo for which he led the restoration work on the Duomo and Camposanto. In 1933 he imposed himself in the Competition for the Tirrenia Town Plan and in the following ten years he carried out numerous projects for the EAT (Ente Autonomo Tirrenia)

From 1943 to 1949 he was a lecturer in drawing at the University of Pisa. From 1949 to 1958 he was professor and director at the Pisa School of Drawing. At the end of the fifties he abandons the didactic and design activities and intensifies the pictorial one by exhibiting in various personal and collective exhibitions. Federigo Severini made his debut as a painter at the age of thirteen with the Casa di Nando (National Museum of San Matteo). The subjects of his paintings are places that are familiar to him: the area of the Pisan countryside between San Rossore and the Monti Pisani, the countryside towards Marina di Pisa and Bocca d'Arno. Federigo Severini died in Pisa in 1962. After his death prestigious retrospectives are dedicated to him.

×